What is involved in ITSM
Find out what the related areas are that ITSM connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a ITSM thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its ITSM journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward ITSM leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which ITSM related domains to cover and 160 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
ITSM, IT service management, Axios Systems, Business Process Framework, Business process, Capability Maturity Model Integration, Configuration management database, Continual improvement process, Functional requirement, ISO/IEC 20000, ISO/IEC 27000, ISO 9000, IT Service Management Forum, Information Technology Infrastructure Library, Information security management, Information technology, Marval Software, Microsoft Operations Framework, Network and Service Management Taxonomy, Network management, Quality management, Service desk, Software engineering, Systems management, United Kingdom, Workflow management system:
ITSM Critical Criteria:
Grasp ITSM tasks and find out what it really means.
– Why do many organizations stumble or fail in their initial attempts at implementing itsm practices?
– How is release management for new application services integrated with your itsm capabilities?
– Why would our organization stumble or fail in their initial attempts at implementing ITSM practices?
– Does the cloud service provider require third-party providers in order to deliver services?
– Does the service provider have a service desk function based on ITIL principles?
– What are the use cases that your org is targeting currently for its CMDB/CMS?
– How successful have you been to date with your itsm initiative?
– What best practices are relevant to your itsm initiative?
– What services are published in your organizations service catalog?
– Are you thinking about implementing ITIL standards based tools?
– What metrics will be provided and are they relevant?
– What does our Disaster Recovery Plan look like?
– ITSM in the Cloud, what does that mean for us?
– How many purchased licenses are in actual use?
– Will the customers and consumers be notified?
– What do we see as our major ITSM challenge?
– What are the relevant reasons to use ITSM?
– How does DevOps differ from ITIL or ITSM?
– What Is the Future of ITSM for us?
– Where does the data reside?
IT service management Critical Criteria:
Discourse IT service management decisions and probe using an integrated framework to make sure IT service management is getting what it needs.
– How do we provide the context for investment considerations (which services does an investment affect, and how does that fit with the business strategy and priorities?
– How do you actually go about identifying, defining and then managing a set of services that make sense?
– What are the key differences between ITAM IT asset management and ITSM IT service management?
– What are our key differences between ITAM IT asset management and ITSM IT service management?
– Which statement best describes your organizations current IT service management strategy?
– What does each software asset cost now and throughout the upgrade or refresh cycles?
– What does each software asset cost now and throughout the upgrade/refresh cycles?
– Are you currently engaged in an it Service Management project?
– Why is it Service Management important to cloud providers?
– What questions should be asked of a cloud service provider?
– How will changes affect the customers services?
– What is the future of it Service Management?
– Will we be eligible for ISO/IEC 20000 certification?
– What is the scope of certification?
– Why is cloud computing important?
– Are we doing things right?
– Quality of Service Met?
– what is next?
Axios Systems Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Axios Systems quality and look for lots of ideas.
– What is the purpose of ITSM in relation to the mission?
– Do we all define ITSM in the same way?
– Is ITSM Required?
Business Process Framework Critical Criteria:
Own Business Process Framework results and gather Business Process Framework models .
– Among the ITSM product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of ITSM?
– Will ITSM deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Business process Critical Criteria:
Define Business process issues and display thorough understanding of the Business process process.
– To what extent will this product open up for subsequent add-on products, e.g. business process outsourcing services built on top of a program-as-a-service offering?
– What is the importance of knowing the key performance indicators KPIs for a business process when trying to implement a business intelligence system?
– What are the disruptive ITSM technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– How do clients contact client services with any questions about business processes?
– How do you inventory and assess business processes as part of an ERP evaluation?
– Will existing staff require re-training, for example, to learn new business processes?
– Do changes in business processes fall under the scope of change management?
– What would Eligible entity be asked to do to facilitate your normal business process?
– What business process supports the entry and validation of the data?
– How do we improve business processes and how do we deliver on that?
– What core business processes drive our industry and channel today?
– How does the solution handle core business processes?
– Why should we adopt a ITSM framework?
– Are there ITSM problems defined?
Capability Maturity Model Integration Critical Criteria:
Map Capability Maturity Model Integration decisions and forecast involvement of future Capability Maturity Model Integration projects in development.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good ITSM project manager?
– What are the long-term ITSM goals?
– How to deal with ITSM Changes?
Configuration management database Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about Configuration management database risks and customize techniques for implementing Configuration management database controls.
– Monitoring tools for wired networks do not provide the full array of features necessary for monitoring wlans. true or false?
– Which of the itil processes is responsible for ensuring the organization is aware of new and changing technology?
– In which two Service Management processes would you be most likely to use a risk analysis and management method?
– Which cloud Service Management process maintains information in the Configuration Management database (cmdb)?
– What is the main difference between a cmdb (Configuration Management database) and a typical asset register?
– How is access to the Configuration Management status data controlled?
– Which is the correct combination of concepts and itil processes?
– What: selection of configuration items (what should be managed?
– What types of status accounting reports are to be generated?
– Why implement a Configuration Management database (cmdb)?
– What is a Configuration Management database (cmdb)?
– Is a usq review required for the proposed change?
– Was the technical review adequately performed?
– How frequently should cab/ec meetings be held?
– What should be under configuration control?
– How do I find the information that I need?
– Why is application sizing important?
– Other reviews to be performed?
– Is this right for us?
Continual improvement process Critical Criteria:
Trace Continual improvement process failures and achieve a single Continual improvement process view and bringing data together.
– For your ITSM project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Which ITSM goals are the most important?
Functional requirement Critical Criteria:
Chart Functional requirement visions and be persistent.
– Many teams will find that informal modeling sessions around whiteboards will be sufficient, although sometimes more formal modeling sessions, such as Joint Application Design (JAD) strategies or stakeholder interviews will work best. How will nonfunctional requirements pertaining to availability, security, performance, and many other factors be addressed?
– How will nonfunctional requirements pertaining to availability, security, performance, and many other factors be addressed?
– Will ITSM have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– Does the current environment support the business and functional requirements?
– Does the current environment support the business and functional requirements?
– Who sets the ITSM standards?
– What about ITSM Analysis of results?
ISO/IEC 20000 Critical Criteria:
Boost ISO/IEC 20000 outcomes and prioritize challenges of ISO/IEC 20000.
– How important is ITSM to the user organizations mission?
– Why are ITSM skills important?
ISO/IEC 27000 Critical Criteria:
Focus on ISO/IEC 27000 tactics and drive action.
– Is the ITSM organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your ITSM activities?
– How can we improve ITSM?
ISO 9000 Critical Criteria:
Prioritize ISO 9000 issues and find the ideas you already have.
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once ITSM is underway?
– Do not ISO 9000 and CMM certifications loose their meaning when applied to the software industry?
– How likely is the current ITSM plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
IT Service Management Forum Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in IT Service Management Forum risks and define what do we need to start doing with IT Service Management Forum.
– Does ITSM create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the ITSM process?
Information Technology Infrastructure Library Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Information Technology Infrastructure Library quality and differentiate in coordinating Information Technology Infrastructure Library.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if ITSM does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Does the ITSM task fit the clients priorities?
Information security management Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Information security management management and balance specific methods for improving Information security management results.
– Has the organization established an Identity and Access Management program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines and which identifies users and network devices?
– Has the organization established an enterprise-wide business continuity/disaster recovery program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines?
– Is there a business continuity/disaster recovery plan in place?
– Are damage assessment and disaster recovery plans in place?
– What are the usability implications of ITSM actions?
– Do we have past ITSM Successes?
– Are there ITSM Models?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Discuss Information technology risks and find out.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your ITSM strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic ITSM objectives?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
Marval Software Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Marval Software failures and integrate design thinking in Marval Software innovation.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting ITSM with what users do day-to-day?
– Does ITSM analysis show the relationships among important ITSM factors?
– What are specific ITSM Rules to follow?
Microsoft Operations Framework Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Microsoft Operations Framework adoptions and figure out ways to motivate other Microsoft Operations Framework users.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether ITSM goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– How will you know that the ITSM project has been successful?
– How can you measure ITSM in a systematic way?
Network and Service Management Taxonomy Critical Criteria:
X-ray Network and Service Management Taxonomy projects and find the ideas you already have.
– Does ITSM include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– Does ITSM systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Are assumptions made in ITSM stated explicitly?
Network management Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Network management risks and devise Network management key steps.
– What are the key elements of your ITSM performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Have you identified your ITSM key performance indicators?
Quality management Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Quality management governance and ask what if.
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its ITSM processes?
– What is the future of Data Quality management?
– Quality management -are clients satisfied?
Service desk Critical Criteria:
Mine Service desk engagements and grade techniques for implementing Service desk controls.
– Will we be eligible for ISOIEC 20000 certification, even if our Service Desk, infrastructure management and applications management functions are located in different countries?
– Why is Customer Service and helpdesks so undervalued given that this is a core part of branding and growth i e The head of the Service Desk is not a CxO level title?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations ITSM values?
– Does the service provider have a service desk function based on itil principles?
– How does mobility improve your organizations service desk effectiveness?
– Are you running your service desk or is your service desk running you?
– How does mobility improve your organizations service desk effectiveness?
– How does mobility improve our organizations service desk effectiveness?
– Is the cloud service providers service desk local, onshore or offshore?
– Are You Running Your Service Desk or is Your Service Desk Running You?
– What potential environmental factors impact the ITSM effort?
– Which incidents should be logged by the service desk?
– Why a service desk?
Software engineering Critical Criteria:
Analyze Software engineering decisions and create Software engineering explanations for all managers.
– DevOps isnt really a product. Its not something you can buy. DevOps is fundamentally about culture and about the quality of your application. And by quality I mean the specific software engineering term of quality, of different quality attributes. What matters to you?
– What are our best practices for minimizing ITSM project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the ITSM project lifecycle?
– Can we answer questions like: Was the software process followed and software engineering standards been properly applied?
– Is open source software development faster, better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– Do we monitor the ITSM decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– Better, and cheaper than software engineering?
Systems management Critical Criteria:
Own Systems management adoptions and transcribe Systems management as tomorrows backbone for success.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for ITSM strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Is ITSM dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– Have the types of risks that may impact ITSM been identified and analyzed?
United Kingdom Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate United Kingdom outcomes and pay attention to the small things.
– What is our ITSM Strategy?
Workflow management system Critical Criteria:
Mine Workflow management system adoptions and probe the present value of growth of Workflow management system.
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the ITSM Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
ITSM External links:
ITSM Zone | The New Home of ITIL Training Zone
ITSM | IT Service Management | ServiceNow
IT service management External links:
Remedy 9 – IT Service Management Suite – BMC Software
Axios Systems External links:
Axios Systems – Home | Facebook
* We monitor all Axios Systems assyst reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product. …
Axios Systems assyst Reviews | G2 Crowd
Business Process Framework External links:
Business Process Framework (eTOM) The Business Process Framework is an operating model framework for telecom service providers in the telecommunications industry. The model describes the required business processes of service providers, and defines key elements and how they should interact.
[PDF]Siebel Business Process Framework: Workflow Guide
What is the Business Process Framework? – YouTube
Business process External links:
Microsoft Dynamics 365 – Modernizing Business Process …
Infosys BPM – Business Process Management | BPM …
Canon Business Process Services
Capability Maturity Model Integration External links:
[PDF]Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) Overview
Configuration management database External links:
Critical Capabilities for Configuration Management Database
Continual improvement process External links:
Continual Improvement Process (CIP) – Rudolph
Functional requirement External links:
[PDF]Functional Requirements Document – University of …
ISO/IEC 20000 External links:
http://ISO/IEC 20000 is the first international standard for IT service management. It was developed in 2005, by ISO/IEC JTC1/SC7 and revised in 2011. It is based on and intended to supersede the earlier BS 15000 that was developed by BSI Group.
ISO/IEC 27000 External links:
[PDF]ISO/IEC 27000, 27001 and 27002 for Information …
ISO/IEC 27000 glossary standard – iso27001security.com
ISO/IEC 27000-series Flashcards | Quizlet
ISO 9000 External links:
What is ISO 9000? – Definition from WhatIs.com
How to Become ISO 9000 Certified | Chron.com
Find How ISO 9000 and ISO 9001 differ from one another
IT Service Management Forum External links:
IT Service Management Forum Annual New Zealand …
Information Technology Infrastructure Library External links:
ITIL – The Information Technology Infrastructure Library
Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) …
Information security management External links:
CCISO Information Security Management Training …
Information Security Management – Home2
Information technology External links:
Rebelmail | UNLV Office of Information Technology (OIT)
Umail | University Information Technology Services
Student Email | Information Technology
Marval Software External links:
Marval Software Limited, Kettering, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom. 1 like. Computer Repair Service
Marval Software – Home | Facebook
Marval Software · GitHub
Microsoft Operations Framework External links:
Microsoft Operations Framework
Appendix A – Microsoft Operations Framework
Microsoft Operations Framework 4.0
Network and Service Management Taxonomy External links:
Network and Service Management Taxonomy – Simpleweb
Network and service management taxonomy – Revolvy
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/Network and service management taxonomy
Network management External links:
[PDF]Network Management Card User’s Guide
OSPINSIGHT – Fiber Optic Network Management
Download Free Network Management & Free Network …
Quality management External links:
Login – ASCWebQI – Quality Management Tools
Quality Management Training Solutions from BSI
Antelope Valley Air Quality Management District
Service desk External links:
NIH IT Service Desk – Request for Service
Service Desk Home – fmPilot
CUNA Service Desk
Software engineering External links:
Software Engineering Stack Exchange
Systems management External links:
– Operation Processes and Systems Management …
KACE Endpoint Systems Management Appliances
Geographic Information Systems Management Office – …
United Kingdom External links:
Too Good To Go | United Kingdom
Brendan Cole | United Kingdom | Brendan Cole Tour
Holidays and observances in United Kingdom in 2018
Workflow management system External links:
WorkflowGenerator – Pegasus Workflow Management System
Workflow Management System | Q-nomy
:: MDFlow :: – EMR and Patient Care Workflow Management System